Ahhhh, fall in New England. Projected high temperatures are in the mid-to-upper 70s, average lows in the lower-to-mid 60s. And also, rain. Every day. ((sigh)) So maybe add your HighEdWeb rain slicker and umbrella to your packing list?! But of course, do keep an eye on things, as we all know that weather these days can be a mite unpredictable.
Dress at the conference is business casual — with a strong emphasis on the “casual.” Jeans, t-shirts, sweaters and khakis are common, both during the conference sessions and at evening events. Of course, it’s fall in New England so as we said, assume it will likely be crisp and a nice jacket and/or layers will be comfortable. Not only that but session rooms can be chilly, so you may want to bring a sweater for daytime wear.
Build your schedule
The #heweb17 schedule is jam-packed with 100+ great sessions. Do you know what you’re going to attend? Use our online schedule planner to build your conference calendar:
- Visit the schedule page on the laptop/phone/mobile device you plan to bring.
- Select “Add to schedule” for each session you plan to attend.
- Use the “Your schedule” link to toggle your selections to display. Your selections will be saved to your device and ready to go when you arrive!
Check-in and registration
Your first stop at HighEdWeb 2017 should be the registration desk in the Connecticut Convention Center, Fourth Floor Cityside Esplanade— check in to grab your conference badge and your conference gifts/swag. Registration desk hours are:
- Sunday, Oct. 8: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Monday, Oct. 17: 7 a.m. – 3 p.m.
NOTE: For Annual Conference attendees also registered for one of the Academies (Leadership, Content/UX, or Technical): Report to the Hartford Marriott Downtown Capital Foyer to check in to your Academy between 12:45-1 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 7. You will ALSO need to check in separately on Sunday or Monday for the HighEdWeb Annual Conference.
When you check in at the registration desk, you will receive your conference ID badge. Your ID badge must be worn at all presentation sessions, meals, and at all conference after-hour events. Your badge is your golden ticket of admission to all the fun. Your badge also has a lot of critical information on it so be sure to keep it handy!
Connecticut Convention Center, Columbus Boulevard, Hartford, CT, United States
Hilton Hartford, Trumbull Street, Hartford, CT, United States
Hartford Marriott Downtown, Columbus Boulevard, Hartford, CT, United States
Bradley International Airport, Schoephoester Road, Windsor Locks, CT, United States
City Steam Brewery Cafe, Main Street, Hartford, CT, United States
HighEdWeb Welcome Reception on Sunday, Oct. 8 at 6 p.m.
Connecticut Science Center, Columbus Boulevard, Hartford, CT, United States
The Big Social Event on Tuesday, Oct. 10 at 6:30 p.m.
Evening networking events
- Sunday, Oct. 8 at 6 p.m.: HighEdWeb Welcome Reception at City Steam (including our First-Time Attendee Meet-&-Greet!)
- Tuesday, Oct. 10 at 6:30 p.m.: The Big Social Event at the Connecticut Science Center
Attendees flying into Bradley International Airport can choose from the inexpensive Bradley Flyer, which runs hourly to the Connecticut Convention Center; multiple taxi and limo providers; or ride-sharing services such as Lyft and Uber.
The Hartford DASH Shuttle, a free bus loop operated by CTtransit, will be running extended service during for HighEdWeb 2017:
- Sun, Oct. 8: 11:00am – 12:30am
- Mon, Oct. 9: 7:00am – 12:30am
- Tue, Oct. 10: 7:00am – 12:30am
- Wed, Oct. 11: 7:00am – 7:00pm
Attendees can use Stop 1 for the Connecticut Convention Center (CTCC), Marriott, and Connecticut Science Center; Stop 12 for City Steam Brewery; and Stop 11 for the Hilton. These stops and others are indicated on the official route map.
HighEdWeb will also provide additional buses for attendees at the following peak times and events:
- Sun, Oct. 8: 5:45pm – 10:00pm — Marriott / Hilton / City Steam (Welcome Reception)
- Mon, Oct. 9: 7:00am – 9:00am — Hilton / CTCC
- Mon, Oct 9: 5:00pm – 6:00pm — Hilton / CTCC
- Tue, Oct. 10: 7:00am – 9:00am — Hilton / CTCC
- Tue, Oct. 10: 5:30pm – 10:30pm — Hilton / CT Science Center (Big Social Event!)
- Wed, Oct. 11: 7:00am – 9:00am — Hilton / CTCC
- Wed, Oct. 11: 11:30am – 2:00pm — Hilton / CTCC
We are looking for awesome conference volunteers to share just an hour or two of time with us at the Annual Conference to help with things like setup, data entry or helping others find their way around the conference space. So help us keep it all going — sign up to volunteer in Hartford: https://tinyurl.com/hewebvolunteer
Pre-conference workshops begin at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 8, in the Connecticut Convention Center. Allow time on Sunday to check in at the registration desk before your workshop. Lunch will be provided at noon on Sunday in the Connecticut Convention Center for all pre-conference workshop attendees, HighEdWeb conference presenters and Academy attendees.
Post-conference workshops begin at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 11, in the Connecticut Convention Center.
If you would like to add a pre- or post-conference workshop to your conference experience, you may add on and pay for the workshop at the registration desk, as attendance allows.
Code of Conduct
The HighEdWeb community is awesome. And we want it to keep on being awesome for everyone. As we look forward to a great conference, we want to remind everyone of what we know you already know: HighEdWeb is dedicated to working toward a harassment-free community and conference experience for everyone, regardless of factors such as sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, ability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, nationality, culture, class, age, or faith. Read our full Code of Conduct policy: https://www.highedweb.org/about/code-of-conduct/.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a member of conference staff immediately — you can also call our 24-hour HEWEB Emergency Hotline: 339-36H-EWEB.
Connect with us – official conference communication
- Follow us on Twitter at @HighEdWeb to stay up-to-date on announcements such as program changes, get general details, or ask any questions you may have.
- Use the conference hashtag #heweb17 to follow discussions, add to the conversation and make new friends.
- Use the session hashtags to comment about what you’ve learned and share about a particular presentation.
We will also post any updates as needed to this Attendees’ page.